Saturday 26 September 2015

5... Jumpers that I want to knit this autumn or 5 Sweaters I want to knit this fall!

I haven't knit a sweater for myself - a proper sweater, not a cardigan - since the Docklight sweater I knit at around this time last year. It sort of killed my sweater mojo - for one, it took a lot of hours of knitting, and two - it's unflattering. I think this is partly due to the size I was last winter and now I've lost a chunk of the weight I was carrying, it just looks big - and it makes me look big. Which isn't something anyone really wants in a jumper. But now the night's are getting chillier and I want a hand knit sweater to snuggle up in. These are just a few that I've had my eye on lately...

Stranded Blog 5 Knitting Sweaters
Image copyright Brooklyn Tweed
Cascades by Michelle Wang, from BT Fall 15. This isn't a million miles away from Docklight (by Julie Hoover) which was featured in BT Fall 14. I like chevron panels down the front and I love the texture of the overall sweater, but I'm worried that knitting a worsted weight sweater might be slightly too bulky for my body type? I think this is just lingering doubt from last winter, but bulky knits can make you look bulky - and I don't need a whole lot of help in that department!!
Stranded Blog 5 Knitting Sweaters
Image copyright Melanie Berg
Again, I love the texture on Threshold by Melanie Berg - Melanie's patterns are all beautiful and this one is no exception - especially photographed in this gorgeous pale grey colourway - be still my beating heart!
Stranded Blog 5 Knitting Sweaters
Image copyright lilalu
It wouldn't be a 5... post without me reiterating my love of striped sweaters and Seashore by Isabel Kraemer is another one I just love. Knit out of a fingering weight yarn I think this has the potential to be both comfortable and flattering to my body type. I would probably knit it out a combination of grey yarns - because grey goes with everything! - and I may eliminate the button detailing on the back of the neck.
Stranded Blog 5 Knitting Sweaters
Image copyright Judy Brien
The Cosi sweater by Judy Brien is a showstopper. I'm not entirely sure I could get away with something this structural, but the fit on the model is glorious - even if the reverse stockinette stitch detail on the sleeve is a little distracting in my opinion. This is something I can see Cosima from Orphan Black totally rocking - in a regal purple shade, but I have some way to go until I reach such a level of cool! (Also Cosi is totally short for Cosima, right!? Coincidence, I think not!)
Stranded Blog 5 Knitting Sweaters
Image copyright Amy Herzog
Last but by no means least is the Pescadero cardigan by Amy Herzog. I think this would be perfect over a checked shirt in the autumn - the collar peeking over the top. I love the grey-green shade it's been knit up in - seriously, we need more neutrals like grey - I can't get enough of it!

Now I just need to put some more work into my Pomme de Pin cardigan so I can justify casting on another big project... D'you have any good sweater recommendations? (because I clearly need to feed my ravelry queue...)

4 comments:

  1. Big up to the Seashore jumper! I'm knitting that for NaKniSweMo this year, also in grey haha! But with mint/teal stripes. Let's see how that turns out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the jumpers but am particularly drawn to the Cosi number - I love its structure. As for spinning...I have not touched it since the little bit I did. I am having difficulty in mastering the spinning bit as the spindle keeps wobbling... however, I am going to master it and will try to do some tonight. I will, I will learn to spin...lol

    ReplyDelete