Tuesday 13 January 2015

How do I own this much stuff?

Stranded Amy Edwards Green River Thames
In exactly three weeks I'll be moving out of my falling down flat in South London, to the Sussex coast. So I'm currently surrounded by a tonne of half packed boxes  wondering how on earth I've managed to acquire quite this many possessions in two and a half years.

I feel like I'm in limbo - my flat not really feeling like home anymore and there still being three weeks until I move in with my family. Going home (although I've never actually lived in the bit of England that my parents currently reside) should feel like a step backwards, but it doesn't. It feels like a tactical retreat. I'm not going to miss London life. I'll miss my friends, I'll miss my job, but I won't miss much else. Over the last six months my anxiety and depression and all the things that don't have a name or a formal diagnosis have become such a big part of my life, that I've forgotten what being well is like. So that's why I'm going home, to remember, or relearn, and to remould myself into someone I like and understand.

I might come back to London and to my unfinished Illustration degree. But I might not. For now, I'm going to have good old fashioned spring clean of everything in my life I don't like and don't need. Starting with the contents of my flat.


1 comment:

  1. Good for you! A lot of people don't realise when they need to just take a step back and take a break for a little while, you'll feel so much beter for it. And I never understood why friends moaned about having to move back in with their parents - I love coming home for a little while. Even just sitting around and doing nothing with my mum and dad - it's still lovely. Wishing you all the very best!

    ReplyDelete